Samuel Shelton will be holding a different oil painting workshop the first Saturday of each month starting September 1st from 9:30-4:30 at Cultivate 712 in Waco, TX. During these workshops Samuel will teach and demonstrate the process of painting a variety of subjects from portraits and figure paintings to still life paintings He will be working right alongside the students in order to show and not just tell how a painting progresses.
Each student can expect to leave with a completed painting, well versed in the steps to getting a likeness of the subject or object being painted, and tricks to oil painting that are both easy to understand and to implement.
The Workshop for 11/3/18 will be Painting a Clothed Figure From a Photograph
Admission to the class for first time students can be purchased here
Admission to the class for returning workshop students can be purchased here
More information available here
- Preferred brand of oil paints and mediums are from www.arttreehouse.com. If you have equivalent high quality paint; that will work as well.
- Oil paints: Treehouse White (or titanium or lead white), yellow ocher, venice red, burnt umber, ivory black, and ultramarine blue.
- Oil mediums: water washed walnut oil www.arttreehouse.com or spectrum naturals walnut oil from the grocery store
- Brushes: Bring brushes you would normally use in oil painting. Synthetic or Natural bristle is fine. No watercolor brushes.
- Wooden paint palette
- Small jar with screw- on lid to keep the walnut oil in. Baby food jars work well.
- 12x16 decent quality canvas or panel. Must be already primed and ready to paint on.
- A metal palette knife for mixing paint and scraping the palette
- rags or paper towels
- Painters tape
- Pencil/ gummy eraser
- ballpoint pen
- Prospek Proportional divider www.jerrysartarama.com (optional)
- mahl stick ( can be as simple as a yardstick)
- No paint thinner, mineral spirits or solvents of any kind are to be used in class. We will clean our brushes in oil.